connecting youth to new careers in 2024
Hello family and friends,
I hope 2024 is bringing new hope and restoration to you and yours. Simply Youth Institute continues on with our 5th year in service!! Praise God! We are truly blessed to be surrounded by such enthusiastic and supportive folks like yourself, who have made our mission to increase confidence in youths’ financial, careers, and overall well-being possible. Thanks to your support and the support of our partners, last year we were able to facilitate meaningful youth centered workshops a successful summer program in Los Angeles county. We had the honor of working alongside young leaders who were looking to further develop their leadership skills!
January 2024 newsletter will be a highlight of our year in review, an SYI intern spotlight, and our new year priorities. Don’t forget to check out the Exploration Corner where we will highlight tips for young leaders, and our upcoming calendar events.
Looking ahead to hope and peace for all,
Founder/ Executive Director
2023 in Review: The Success of SAGACITY from summer intern veronica
Being an intern for this year’s 2023 Sagacity Summer Leadership was an immense honor and an experience I greatly enjoyed. There were twice the number of students from last year’s program, each of them resilient, hardworking, and kind from the beginning. However, throughout the program, I was able to witness firsthand the amount of growth, motivation, and confidence they gained from the lessons they learned within the week. Thanks to our incredible sponsors, every student was able to broaden their horizons by meeting with Mrs. Allyson Hill, USC Associate Dean of Admissions, to brainstorm ways to achieve their goals and explore the U.S. Air Force Base – Space Force Command learning how to proactively problem solve using creativity and teamwork. In addition, all students were able to actively engage in several discussions with guest speakers, Dr. Lynne Ray, a director who oversees the Aerospace for Space Systems Command, Professor Monica Thurston director of Health Information Technology at East Los Angeles College, and educator/ speaker Erica Lopez who empowered students in their self-love and advocacy for those experiencing suicidal ideation, all allowing them to grow immensely from wisdom. Furthermore, students had the opportunity to increase their financial literacy, strengthen their professional skills using computers to compose their very own professional resumes, and learn lifelong healthy habits.
By the conclusion of this year’s 2023 Sagacity Summer Leadership, all of the students grew the courage to express themselves and create long-lasting friendships. The amount of compassion each student showed each other and everyone they met was truly heartwarming. I am also left in everlasting awe by the amount of talent, power, and skill each student possesses. I know that every Sagacity Summer Leadership student is already and will continue accomplishing great things. Their futures are beyond bright and I am excited to see how they will positively change the world next.
SYI Spotlight: Tirza Covarrubias
SAGACITY 2023 Intern- Tirza Covarrubia completed the SAGACITY 2023 spring internship and we are so excited that she is attending her first year at a community college in Los Angeles. Check out her exit interview and tips for those who would like to apply.
1.What skills or knowledge have you gained during your internship that you didn’t have before?
In this internship, I gained more knowledge in the field of social work and learned the components of what a professional email should have. I also learned more about stocks and how I can invest my money into something that can give me more in the future.
2.What was your favorite project or assignment during your internship?
My favorite assignment was doing the scholarships because I was pushed to do something important and beneficial for my future and if it wasn’t for that assignment then I wouldn’t have completed a good amount of scholarships.
3. What was the most challenging part of your internship?
The most challenging part of the internship was balancing my school life with the internship. Such as finding time to complete a few assignments for the internship and my schoolwork.
4.How would you describe SYI culture and work environment?
The SYI culture and work environment is very welcoming, flexible and positive. They are always making sure you learn important skills and pushing you to do better. SYI is an environment where you feel heard and supported.
5.Did you feel supported by your trainers during your internship?
I definitely felt supported by my trainers during my internship. My trainers have been great the entire time and showed nothing but love and support.
6.What feedback do you have about the internship program and how it could be improved?
I can’t think of anything that needs to be improved, presentations were always put together nicely and organized. They stayed on schedule and the sessions were always very informative.
7.What advice would you give to future interns?
My advice to the future interns is to fully take in all of the advice/knowledge and skills SYI has to offer because it will help you out to be even more successful in life.
8. Do you feel that your internship has helped you in your career goals?
I do feel like this internship has helped me in my career goals because I now have a clearer vision of what route I want to take in social work and some of the things I need to know to make it happen.
9. What did you enjoy most about working with the team?
I enjoy everything but what I most enjoyed about working with the team was having mentors to guide me.
10. Would you recommend Simply Youth Institute to other students who are looking for an internship? Why/why not?
Yes I would recommend other students an internship with Simply Youth Institute because I know it will be very helpful for those who want to build important skills such as knowing how to write a professional email or creating a professional resume. A support group that many of us need to help us be more knowledgeable in different areas.
our top 5 priorities in 2024
As we embark on a new year at Simply Youth Institute, we’re thrilled to share our vision for 2024. Our focus remains steadfast on inspiring and buidling young leaders. Here’s a glimpse of what we’re aiming to achieve, and we hope you will join us! 🙂
- Career Path Exploration: This year, we’re bringing the working world closer to our youth. Expect an exciting new workshop and opportunities for our young members to meet and learn from local professionals. It’s all about opening doors to future careers!
Fueling Our Mission: To reach our goals, we need resources. That’s why we’re setting our sights on securing new grant opportunities. This effort is crucial in expanding and enriching our programs.
- Your Voice Matters: We believe in evolving through feedback. This year, we’re implementing new ways to listen to and incorporate community suggestions into our programs, ensuring they truly meet your needs.
- Community First: Get ready to see more of us in your social feeds! We’re launching a social media campaign to keep you informed and involved. Also, we’re rolling up our sleeves to volunteer right alongside you in local initiatives.
- Empowering Our Team: None of this is possible without our dedicated team. We’re committed to further training and development, ensuring our staff and volunteers are equipped to make a bigger impact.
grow and take what your need corner
In this edition, we’re thrilled to introduce an inspiring new section dedicated to empowering young adults like you. Dive into a world of knowledge, where wisdom meets action, and discover tools and insights for a healthier, more fulfilling life. Here are some of the key takeaways that students’ walked away with from last year’s workshops and summer program.
- Building Healthy Relationships:
- Lesson Learned: Communication is key. Understand the importance of openness, respect, and setting boundaries to nurture positive relationships in all areas of your life.
- Actionable Tip: Start a journal. Reflect on your daily interactions and note what went well and what you could improve.
- Exploring New Horizon
- Lesson Learned: Embrace the unknown. Taking risks in career exploration or pursuing new ideas can lead to unexpected opportunities and personal growth.
- Actionable Tip: Create a “Possibility List” with career paths or ideas you’re curious about. Research one item from your list each week.
- Menal Health Empowerment
- Lesson Learned: You’re not alone. Recognizing the signs of mental distress and knowing where to find help can save lives.
- Actionable Tip: Familiarize yourself with local and online mental health resources. Share this knowledge within your community.
- Budgeting & Building Financial Responsibility
- Lesson Learned: Financial health is a cornerstone of independence. Learn to manage your finances early on to secure your future.
- Actionable Tip: Track your spending for a month. Identify areas where you can save and set realistic budgeting goals.
Thank you for being a part of our journey. Here’s to growing together, in wisdom and strength, through every season of change.
Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org